- Normandy Schools Collaborative
- Message from the Superintendent
A Time to Reflect
Posted by Dr. Charles J. Pearson on 12/20/2018
To the Normandy Community,
Wow! It is the end of the first semester and the beginning of Winter Break. With all that is going on, it is difficult to imagine that we are now half way into the school year. I again thank each of you for the spirit of partnership that you share with us each day as we work to change the lives of the children we serve. Please take some time to celebrate in whatever tradition that you honor, enjoy family time, reflect upon goals to set for the New Year, and celebrate this gift called life.
Teachers will return from Winter Break to two days of professional learning experiences, January 3 and 4, 2019. We are being very intentional in using this time to tend to the learning of the teachers themselves. Everyone in a successful school system has to be a learner, always working to become better at what they do. This is true of both the adults and the children.
People often laugh at the idea of New Year’s Resolutions, but I use the beginning of a New Year as a time to reflect upon what I have learned, what to celebrate, and where I can improve. Adults have to model this type of thinking for young people and share with them.
In this first semester, we saw:
- Several schools recognized as Healthy Alliance Schools
- The introduction of Breakfast in the Classroom at elementary schools to support better nutrition for our students
- Five of our students selected to participate in the City of Music All Star Chorus
- Two students who were winners in the Metro St. Louis Metroscapes Art in Transit Contest
- Three high school students already notified that they are receiving full-tuition scholarships from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff to continue their education as members of the UA Marching Band
As we reflect on these moments and more, there is much to celebrate, to be thankful for, and so much more to do!
In the spirit of this holiday season…and best wishes for you and yours in the New Year!