2020-2021 New Start/End Times for Schools
When school resumes, Normandy will have made several changes to our bus Transportation program in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19. While we will not be able to fully follow CDC social distancing guidelines, we are incorporating a number of measures to protect students and staff so the risk of contracting COVID-19 is minimized.
What we are doing:
- We are adding a third set of routes, reducing the number of students on each bus by over 30 percent. As a result of the additional tier for routes, some schools will have different start/end times (see below). This will allow for more space on buses so students can practice distancing.
Bus drop off/pick up times
School Start/End Times
Tier 1 - Lucas Crossing and Bel-Nor
Bus drop off at school 7:05 a.m. Bus departs school – 2:38 p.m.
7:20 am - 2:30 pm
Tier 2 - Normandy High School and Barack Obama
Bus drop off at school – 7:55 a.m.
Bus departs school – 3:28 p.m.
8:10 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.
Tier 3 - Early Learning Center (PreK* & Kg), Jefferson, Washington
Bus drop off at school - 8:45 am
Bus departs school - 4:18
9:00 a.m. - 4:10 p.m
*Transportation is not provided for PreK students. Note: PreK’s start time is the same as KG this year.
- Children in the same household/immediate family will sit three to a seat. This will minimize chances of students sitting next to someone outside their family. It may not be as comfortable for the short ride to or from school, but it is within regulations and serves the greater safety of all students.
- We are directing students and staff to wear masks on the bus. The drivers will have a limited number of masks each day for students who do not have one when they board. This is an area where our parents and families will play a key role in supporting this measure.
- Knowing that out-of-seat play, throwing items, or other student behavior choices on the bus are more unsafe in the context of COVID-19, we will closely monitor student behavior. Because of the increased risk of the virus, students may face suspensions for play that is unsafe or high risk.
- Drivers will disinfect buses after each route using recommended cleaners and following directions from custodial management. In addition to the drivers wiping down buses, Transportation staff will thoroughly clean and disinfect bus interiors after morning and afternoon routes.
- Hand sanitizer will be available on buses for students and staff as they board and exit the bus.
- Students will be assigned seats on the bus to minimize passing (e.g., first to board sit in the back).
- We are planning to incorporate several new measures to mitigate the spread of coronavirus. While the measures are appropriate for this goal, we understand some families may choose to arrange alternate transportation for their child(ren) if possible. If parents of bus riders decide on an alternative method of transportation for their children, please notify Transportation so that we can adjust routes/stops.
COVID-19 has forced us all to re-think how we do everything in our personal and professional lives and school is no different. We thank you for your cooperation and look forward to collaborating with our families as we work through this time to ensure our students are able to continue their education in a safe and healthy environment.