In a recent column Normandy Superintendent Dr. Charles Pearson explains the 'why' and 'how' for this upcoming change for students and families.
Click here to download Attendance Boundary Map
Questions or Comments?
If you have questions regarding the school attendance boundaries, please send your question or comment to: email@example.com. Please be sure to include your contact information so that someone on our team can respond to your question/comment.
School Attendance Boundary Changes Coming for 2019-2020 School Year
Earlier this fall Normandy held two community meetings to share options for attendance boundary changes for elementary schools. The changes will go into effect for the 2019-2020 school year. The goal of our changes is to improve the learning environment for all students. The change in configuration does that. The change in configuration also requires the district to realign the attendance boundaries for our schools. The purpose of these meetings was to get feedback on three options. The JEGB approved the realigned boundaries and meetings are being held to address any questions that parents and families may have regarding these changes.
Why realign the school attendance boundaries?
- Beginning in the fall of 2019, Normandy elementary schools will have students in grades 1-8.
- The Normandy 7th-8th Grade Center will close and the current 7th graders will return to an elementary school, which will change to an EleMiddle grade (1-8) span. The decision to reconfigure our elementary schools is based on solid research showing improved academic performance of students in this age group when they remain in the elementary buildings. (More information is available on our website: www.normandysc.org.)
Opening New Early Learning Center & Re-opening Bel-Nor as an EleMiddle School:
- With 7th & 8th graders returning to elementary schools and the opening of the Early Learning Center in Fall 2019, we are re-opening Bel-Nor (current Normandy Kindergarten Center) as a grade 1-8 elementary (or "EleMiddle") school.
- We have examined the current boundaries for our elementary schools to determine, based on students’ addresses, who will be transferred to Bel-Nor and what schools our current 7th graders will attend. We will also take advantage of this opportunity to ensure students are attending the elementary school closest to their home.
- This information will be mailed to families in Spring 2019.
To continue to improve student achievement in Normandy, we have to make sound decisions based on what’s best for children. Sometimes, these decisions require change, but progress requires change. We will work to ensure our school district and our students continue to grow in a positive and productive way.
School Locator Tool Now Available
With the boundary changes, some students will attend new schools in 2019-2020 and the School Locator tool can tell you where. Follow these steps:
- Click the link: http://apps.schoolsitelocator.com/index.html?districtCode=22746
- Input the student's home address
- Select the 2019-2020 school year
The schools for any student in grades pre-school to high school will appear for the student(s) living at that address.