Welcome to Student Health Services
Health and wellness is critical to students performing well in the classroom. To help ensure our students are performing at their best, the Collaborative provides on-site nurses in each building as well as a full-service health center, Affinia Healthcare at Normandy High School, to provide convenient healthcare services to students, staff and families.
We have school nurses in each building to address the physical, mental, emotional, and social health needs of students, and support their achievement in the learning process. Our nurses support student success by providing the following:
- Ensure compliance with procedures, protocols, and other instructions provided by the coordinator of health services or contained in division manual and protocols.
- Provide nursing care and physical screening to students; assess students and implement first-aid measures for students as needed.
- Assume responsibility for appropriate assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation, management, and referral activities for students.
- Counsel with students concerning problems such as pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and drugs.
- Implement and record required screening programs; notify parents when further medical evaluation is indicated.
- Establish and update health and immunization records.
- Prepare and maintain student clinic records and prepare required reports.
- Administer daily and PRN (as needed) medications and nursing care procedures prescribed by the student's physician.
- Initiate emergency procedures for students and staff as needed.
- Share the development of Individual Health Care Plans and 504 Plans for students on a case-by-case basis.
- Orient the staff and teach specific medical procedures for the evaluation and maintenance of the medically involved student in the classroom.
- Present, train and maintain appropriate standards from OSHA regarding contact with, and possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens and other potentially infectious body materials within the school or employment setting.
- Provide health education and anticipatory counseling.
- Follow procedures for suspected cases of child abuse and neglect.
- Act as a liaison between the school, home health department professionals, and other community agencies.
With the addition of our Affinia Healthcare at Normandy High School health center and our partnership with the Missouri Foundation for Health, the Collaborative is committed to providing quality, affordable and convenient health services for students, families and staff.